A job or starting a career is important in any person’s life so they can earn their living. Jobs can be of many types. Some are white collar jobs and some are not. There are people who earn their living by offering physical labor or skills, and that is their job.
To get into any kind of job one has to appear for an interview where they are evaluated by their prospective employer and then appointed or rejected. Whatever be the result, one has to make sure that they present their best self before the interviewers.
Here we list a few things to keep in mind when you need to appear for an interview:-
1. The saying goes, “your first impression is your last impression.” This is very true when it comes to an interview. This is the only chance and you are supposed to make a good impression about yourself in the mind of the interviewer.
Firstly, make sure you arrive on time. Never ever be late for a job interview. Secondly, dress well and in formal clothing.
2. You have to showcase your potential before the interviewer. Be quick with your response or answers. While answering their questions, be extremely polite and careful. Nobody would want to hire an arrogant employee.
3. Body language and breathing can easily give away how you are actually feeling. So, keep them in check.
Of course, you will be nervous, but do not lose your calm. Maintain eye contact and speak confidently. It may so happen that you may not know the answer to a question, but you are not supposed to lose your composure if this happens.
4. You have applied for a certain job because you are interested in it. It is expected that you will know certain things about the job or the subject it is related to.
Use technical terms and share honest thoughts about what you expect from your prospective employer.
5. The interviewer will look for veracity in a person he may hire. Thus, make sure you are being honest all through the interview. Do not try and cover up something that may seem unpleasant for them. If your expectation is high, let them know so.
6. Do not shy away from asking smart questions. In fact, come prepared and use them in the conversation. This will give them a sense that you are aware of the job that you want.
7. While you are waiting to give an interview, try and observe your peers or competitors if possible. With a proper interaction with them, you are surely going to pick up on some keywords which you might have had forgotten, and use them in your interview.
Observing the general culture amongst them will also help you. But make sure you do not get intimidated by them.
8. Mirroring the mood of the interviewer is a smart thing to do. This means if he is being serious, you too are supposed to behave that way.
If the interviewer smiles, you smile.
At the end of the interview, the interviewer should have positive thoughts about you. Your employability should seem like a wise decision for them.
Keep a big smile all through the interview and retain your poise.